Sunday, November 27, 2011

Why I Chose the Nikon D3100



If you want better tips with gears visit Digital Rev TV on YouTube. Kai the DSLR nerd is really cool 'cos out from his hat that he wears a lot of time, he has a lot of advise for gears options without us actually buying them.

But for me, let me just share why I got the Nikon D3100 as my option DSLR. It was a high time for me to get one after putting it off for a lot of time already. I was surviving total of 3 Canon point and shoot for the past 7 years. My dearest one was the Canon PS A540 at RM799 after the Canon PS A400 got really outdated especially the issue with the AA batts which I had to deal with too many a times. The A540 got conked because I attempted to power it a power adaptor but with the wrong polarity. Really sayang cause A540 gave me a lot of good images, sometimes DSLR like although its bulky built. The craze for that time were the slim, cute digital cameras and the smallest mobile phones you could get. I ended up with another Canon at RM350 which was easy to use and fit my easy to adjust criterias
(instead of just auto point and shoot) but that one had speed issues and too much noise at high ISO.

Okay, back to Nikon D3100. I am obviously a Canon point and shoot fan as I had not so great experience with Nikon point and shoot with then the company's camera (Coolpix - cost so much but so slow on the flash recharging!). Before D3100, I was also on my dad's Canon EOS 450D that I helped to get fixed. The fact that is was defected, my dad told me to never get Canon DSLR and stay with Niko
n. I was with Nikon FE10 (film SLR) back then, so agreed that Nikon would be a better suit for me to get back to SLR again.

With the budget I had, obviously entry levels were the better option. So if for entry level, Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D were the options (and of course, rivals). Both were entry levels and both priced about the same and came with kit lenses. Zooming on to Nikon, I checked out specs for all Nikon DSLRs from obsolete to the present models, from entry to advance levels, to really understand why is it considered 'entry level' in the first place.

Beginners, don't get discouraged at all that what you have is considered 'entry-level'. What you have actually is a mighty tool and with the right skill, you can produce results which no one can tell from the 'advance' range! And please invest on lenses rather than upgrading the body.

Looking at the comparison chart I narrowed down to Nikon D5000 and D3100 and in terms of price, D3100 is better and in terms of spec, the D5000 win over mostly on the 'flip screen', which isn't a big up for most purist anyway! Even D3100 has higher effective mega pixels even though priced lower than D3100. It also has a guide menu at the dial which Canon 1100D doesn't have and although I really didn't need it (not boasting ok!) but it's a very good option for those entering into DSLR with very little theory. I am a mother of 2 and I do have bills to pay and alas I became the owner of D3100. I am happy with it as for now. I have held the Canon 1100D before and probably biased, I think I prefer the D3100. Review by Digital Camera magazine rated the Canon entry level 1 star higher than the Nikon one actually. But when it comes to the mid and advance levels, they are quite close, having the Nikon winning over Canon at the advance level. Not to much info there for you but the point is both Canon and Nikon are really competitive with each other. No one can say one is way better than the other, but mostly I think it's the matter of which suit the individual. So, when I'm with my Nikon don't ask me with a high pitch, "Why did you get Neeekon??" Perhaps I should start answering, "WHY NOT? Nikon don't make printers. Why should I get a camera from a printer manufacturer?" - just kidding Canon guys!

Last but not least guys, why not save time and money, have your DSLR and gears delivered by Pos Laju to your doorstep by shopping online for at ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!
Don't worry, they give freebies like bag and SD card like those conventional shops too! I wish I had bought my DSLR from there but I didn't know about it before. However, I did order an ND filter, circular polarizer filters and a 4 way reflector and it came in the mail the very next day! Price wise, very happy as I have been looking around for the said accessories and they always price quite high in stores.

0 comments:

Post a Comment