Saturday, November 2, 2013

Images of Autumn at Jinju, Gyeongsangnam, South Korea

Jinju is about 1.5 hours away from Haeundae, Busan but it took us a good 3 hours because of traffic entering the highway.  Preparing to go out with kids, we left home quite late so that's one of the reason we were caught in the traffic jam :(

Okay, so the weather was not only cloudy but OVERCAST and that created a lot of diffused light and its not my favourite kind of outdoor lighting.  I can work with evening light easily but cloudy light is something I haven't grasped really well. I should be because this is not an uncommon weather anywhere in the world (try to think hazy Hong Kong).  However, for portraiture photography, this weather is favoured due to its light shadow effect and subjects do not have to work hard to open their eyes and appear squinting all the time.  But, at this time, I was concentrating on landscape which was quite difficult.  What it does is, it creates light that is not bright enough to light up foregrounds and ground subjects but bright enough to create foreground.  So, on an auto mode, normally what will happen is either you have a bright background and dark foreground OR clear foreground but whitewashed background. In a perfect world, you'd want a clear blue sky with hints of clouds but what we can do is make the best out of it.  Many high impact landscape photos are of 'happening' sky action but when its overcast, well, I just try to avoid sky images as much as possible.  Using the 'cloudy' white balance, did not really help.  So I used auto white balance.

I should be researching this further but this is what I tried to overcome the condition, so this is just me:
Used ISO 200-400, aperture at the most at f/5.6, centre metering and adjusted the exposure compensation depending on the scene.  The yellow, orange and brown colours of the autumn leaves were my concern where I didn't want it to not show but I did not want them to be white washed too.  I tried taking less sky images because I knew they were less appealing and it would create the problem of dark foreground.
 
 
 
 
 
Ahhh...found a lovely maple tree.
 
 
 
The stone that comes with a story about a gisaeng (female entertainer) who threw herself into the river to drown a Japanese general in a 1593 invasion.

It was soon dark by 5pm so I took some night views before looking for dinner.
 
 
One of the bridge on Namgang River
The Bamboo Walk along Namgang River
I froze for 8 second for this photo :)
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment