Monday, November 4, 2013

DSLR Cover / Cosy for Moms (and everyone)

At this point, I am a little excited to wait to get my hands on the Nikkor 18-200mm VR I'm supposed to pick up in Seoul from an artist/photographer (from what I gather from his website) because he recently switched to a full frame system.  That means (I'm guessing from what I can remember from an article I read sometime ago) that he can still use the lens with his new SLR but it will be much cropped from the actual captured image.  Anyway, he's been so nice to give the lens to me with a great deal. 

I will talk about that more once I get the lens! Anyway, back to the actual post, I know I'm spending so much on the lens (yes, it's a second hand deal but it is an expensive lens to start with), I knew I need a better camera bag to carry it around, as its heavier and longer than the current kit lens.  I could actually imagine how I will be traveling and touring with the lens AND the 2 kids and I could imagine bumping the lens while trying to console or comfort a crying/screaming/tired toddler.  I told myself, NO way I'm going to let it happen.  However, I do not want to carry so many bags as we always carry a backpack or tote for the kids food, change, water and wet tissue too. 

First I looked at ebay if there were cheap camera cover and the cheapest was about USD25 and a professional bag can come up to USD300!  After some research I come across these cute handmade camera covers in Etsy!!  I thought to myself, I have the materials, a sewing machine and the old foam mat (the toddler made a big hole in it anyway), why not make myself a camera cover!? *Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! *Idea rush!!

I looked at a few tutorials from blogs and none actually showed how they are actually made.  So I took about 12 hours making this first prototype because I had to do a lot of trial and error.  I am actually HAPPY how it turned out!  AH....bliss...without a hole in my pocket.

The padding or used to be foam mat is 10mm thick which is thick enough to absorb bumps but flexible enough for me to work with.  Certainly will put to the real test how this camera cover work with me in terms of convenience, durability and protection but I'm pretty confident putting it into the backpack on top of the kid's stuff or even carry it around my neck just as it is.  I'm sure to grab some attention too :) 

I looked for the Nikkor 18-200 VR dimensions to make the lens part of this camera cover.  The dinosaur fabric was what I had so I worked with it.  Will certainly make with another pattern next time.
By the way I also have another hobby that is crochet and knitting and I have a special Facebook page for that.  Go check out, www.facebook.com/anyonghandmade

After this, I can't wait to add padding to my handbags and totes to tranform them to ladylike, stylish DSLR camera bags.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment