Monday, November 11, 2013

Gwangan Bridge, Nikkor 18-200mm VR

The meeting with the previous owner of the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens, was really pleasant. I'm happy to know a nice man, a traveler, artist and photographer born in the same year as me :)  If you are reading this, thanks Marty!

Finally got the D3100 mirror error fixed!!  After swapping cash with the used lens, the D3100 gave an error that says this "Error, press release shutter button again".  Imagine my disappointment!!  Because we were traveling away from home, I wasn't confident fixing it myself until at least I know I have the cleaning kit around me.  The error was finally fixed after watching a simple YouTube video about the mirror can be 'unstucked'.  My husband helped me do it since I wasn't confident.  I just warned him not to touch the sensor at the back of the body!

So, I got working immediately and during the day, I was trying mostly the view outside our apartment and around the house.  Of course, Gwangan Bridge is mostly in my shots.  In the evening, as the second day of sudden cold (to signal the coming of winter) as the sun set and because hubby was home to watch the kids for a while, I went downstairs instead of taking picture from the apartment to avoid the dirty glasses of my windows.

At 200mm focal length.  Oh, I love how the golden orange contrast with the black here. 
I realized that I was at ground level, the sun is blocked by the bridge in this sunset view. In all, the zoom focus is crisp and fast.  The only problem maybe a moving subject towards or away from you like the joggers and cyclists I tried getting but were blurry.  I hadn't had time to change the ISO because my fingers were already frozen!

Trying mostly on the zoom capability here (I'm still amazed at how close I can zoom now)
After sunset I quickly went in to prepare dinner but as minutes passed and I was in the middle of cooking, I realized there is a brilliant combination of colour happening here.  This is rare as its not always a clear sky in the autumn.  I took shots from the apartment.  I did not use the flimsy tripod I got from ebay but I rested the camera and lens on the ledge of the window.  However, the lens was too long so I had to hold my breath for half a second every time I release the shutter.  This is among the more steady ones.  Others were kinda shaky.  (Gotta get a good tripod soon)
Taken at 24mm focal length. The corner upper left seems to be a satellite reflecting back to earth.


This rising moon was taken as the sun set at 200mm focal length.
The same image cropped.  I never would have done this with the kit lens!
In whole, I happy with the lens performance despite being a used one (2 years) except for the manual focus ring that seem to be not smooth when turned.  The switch to change from A/M to M focus is also kind of hard.  Perhaps this is common for used or not so new lenses?
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment