Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Regret

One of our shots from the Monkey Sanctuary, Ubud, Bali with Nikon D3100

Recently taken with Nikon D3100 at home, the morning sky after a rainy night.

Taken about 3 years ago with Canon Powershot A550 at Penang Butterfly Farm, no editing - probably my most loved digital camera, takes almost DSLR quality picture - with vivid colour capability and nice bokeh as well. I spoilt it when I plugged in the adaptor with the wrong polarity (dumb!!)

Sedona, Arizona during Spring of 2004, taken with Canon Powershot A400 (great images for that year's standard, at 5 mp but the AA battery loses juice after only 100 or so shots)

Probably my regret is waiting too long to get a DSLR after the ole analog SLR became the thing of the past. I resorted to the easy to use digital cameras to record my travels and family moments. But I couldn't blame myself either, there were financial obligations mostly. I just looked on - having friends get into this DSLR fad. Did felt a bit missed out and to think I learned a lot from my SLR and not continue - was also a bummer.

As being the only one with a 'zoom camera' during those days, the Nikon FE10 has always been with me from 1998 and now in 2011 I opted the affordable Nikon D3100 as I still need to pay for the kid's preschool fees, the toddler's nanny and a bunch other things. Despite its 'entry' level categorization, I really feel its a mighty one. I have taken night, cloudy, sunny, sunset, portrait, low key, light painting images with it and the quality is not far from a Nikon D7000 for the same setting. It's absolutely not the camera alone, but how skilled, how you manipulate the setting and how much you understand light.

The kit lens of this one shouldn't be underestimated too because it brings great images. I've used my dad's Canon 400D plus kit lens and D3100 with its VR delivers sharp pro results compared to Canon 400D that always ends in blur in low lighting setting.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to have other than the kit lens but that's back to my main story. I regret not starting early to advance soon enough to try other lens. Right now, I'm just trying to make full use of the kit lens. Maybe in time, a wide angle lens would be part of the family too!

Gonna check out the Camera Fair 2011 at Gurney Plaza, Penang tomorrow and probably gonna get an extra battery, lens shield, ND and polarizer filters. This mom needs some quality time with the other baby i.e. Nikon! Have a good Merdeka Raya holidays guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment